Thursday, December 24, 2020
Services of Worship for Christmas
CHRISTMAS EVE CANDLELIGHT WORSHIP ONLINE
Thursday, Christmas Eve, 7:15 p.m. Music, 8:00 p.m. Worship
Christmas Music begins on Livestream
Livestream Christmas Eve Worship
Livestream from the Sanctuary.
Carols. Story. Poems. Prayers. Everything you love about Christmas Eve at First Presbyterian Church. The service from the sanctuary will be livestream-only, on Facebook Live and You Tube.
To participate in this service you might like to do a few things in advance:
- CLICK HERE for a copy of the bulletin for the 8:00 p.m. Christmas Eve Service. The bulletin will also be emailed to you.
- Put a large white candle – the Christ Candle – in the middle of your Advent Wreath in your worship space. Have matches or a lighter handy so you can light the Christ Candle with everyone when we come to that part of the service.
- Find a small candle you can hold and light during the carol singing at the close of the service. You could use an ordinary taper candle in a candlestick or a short pillar candle that you could hold. You’ll light this candle from your Christ Candle.
- Do you have a favorite crèche set? You could place that in your worship space.
- What else might enhance the simple beauty of your worship on Christmas Eve? A blooming plant – such as Christmas cactus, poinsettia or amaryllis. Start now with your amaryllis and it might be blooming by Christmas Eve!
ELEVEN O’CLOCK CANDLELIGHT IN-PERSON WORSHIP ON FRONT LAWN
This outdoor service is cancelled due to weather
We had been planning to bundle up and gather for about 30 minutes – with masks and observing physical distancing. With candles ready to hold, we would read the Christmas story, hear carols, pray for ourselves and our world, and finish up with Silent Night. The weather is not cooperating, however, with expected heavy rain, wind and possibly a bit of thunder and snow. Stay at home, warm and safe, and enjoy the evening at worship at the 8:00 service instead.
CHRISTMAS JOURNEY TO BETHLEHEM
Was moved to: Wednesday, the day before Christmas Eve 4:00 p.m.—6:00 p.m.
Children and families and folks of all years! Bundle up, wear your masks, and come anytime between 4:00 and 6:00 to the church grounds where you will find the path to Bethlehem. As you walk the path around the grounds, you will explore several places where you will be able to sing, or share, donate something, or pick up something for your journey. You’ll end at the cradle, where you will welcome the Holy Child. Bring a canned good and/or an item to donate to the Mitten Tree if you are able. Park in the Park and Ride – the first stop on the Journey will be near the church sign! In case of weather check the church website for updates.
When it gets dark, we’ll light the luminaria and all the lights, and about 6:30 we will stand on the front lawn to hear some Christmas music, read some scripture, and light our candles. Come be together in this in-person gathering for Christmas.
We will dodge the pandemic, the snow, the rain and the thunder — to enjoy seeing each other on Wednesday evening, standing in the spirit of Christmas!
Merry Christmas! Christ is Born!
All are welcome to these services of celebration and joy.
Handicap accessible and open to all.
The church is on the corner of US 29 and MD-108.